1. Where were you 1 hour ago? In the laundry room, sorting laundry. Well, no, that was mrissa's answer; I was sitting in the living room floor, sorting laundry, because the laundry room in this apartment building is down in the basement and it's easier to sort things first and then carry them down there.
2. When is the last time you filled up your gas tank? I don't remember. Early Octoberish, I think? That's on my car, though; I think I last filled the tank in Suzi's car on the way to mikz's projects night with tiger_spot, a couple of weeks ago.
3. What is the most amount of money you spent in one store? I have no idea. Probably one of the laptops I bought, which cost the usual sort of price for a mid-range laptop. (Edit: No, actually, the first computer I bought for myself, back in early 1998, cost more than that -- almost $1700, and that was 50% off because it was a year-old display model. It probably says something about how my brain works that I remembered this two hours after writing this post, and since then it's been bothering me that the posted answer wasn't correct....)
4. Is there anything pink within 10 feet of you? Yes. Ten feet is an absurd distance, which covers a fair fraction of the room, and I don't want to get up to see what the pink book on the kitchen table is. Within arm's reach, there's a handful of Lego flowers with pink flower-petal pieces, a list of speakers for the Stanford E311a "Women's Issues in Engineering" seminar (which is really a seminar on work-life balance and making life choices and stuff, and anyone who thinks those issues only apply to women is silly, but I digress), an envelope from a birthday card from my mother-in-law, some of the CD that came with the O'Rielly book on Programming with GNU Software, three erasers, a book on Convective Heat and Mass Transfer which oddly enough was this sort of faded-red shade of pink when it was printed, as opposed to the handful of faded books that were originally red and thus I shan't count, and I really thought there were more things here that were pink but apparently there aren't.
5. When is the last time you went to the mall? Several months ago, I went to the Lego store. Also, I went to the mall briefly just before Christmas to buy a gift for my sister-in-law, but that was a very quick sort of thing.
6. Are you wearing socks right now? Yes. I almost always am.
7. Do you have a car worth over $5,000? No. I have, however, several which are not.
8. When was the last time you drove out of town? Out of Mountain View? Last week, I think. Would have been today, except I took the train. The last time I drove out of the general local area in a way that would count as even vaguely out of town was the aforementioned trip to San Francisco to mikz's projects night. And for something that actually got outside the general metropolitan Bay Area ... last year, sometime, unless you count the driving that I did while home in Virginia over Christmas.
9. Have you been to the movies in the last 5 days? I'll borrow mrissa's "Heh. No." answer. I think I've been to the movies in the last 5 years, but I've sort of lost count. When did the last Lord of the Rings movie come out?
10. Are you popular? Not especially, I think.
11. What was the last thing you had to drink? Some orange juice, with lunch.
12. What was the last thing you mailed in the mail? A request for a check from the agency that's handling the California class-action lawsuit that Microsoft settled a few years ago.
13. Do you wash your car? In Virginia, where I grew up, the weather is sensible, and there is rain on a sufficiently regular basis to keep cars clean. Here, there isn't any, but I am forgetful. I wash the windshield at the gas station when it gets too dusty. See also earlier note about the last time I took my car to a gas station to fill the tank.
14. Last fast food you ate? Long forgotten.
15. Where were you last week at this time? Here, so far as I remember. Possibly eating supper, though.
16. Have you bought any clothing items in the last week? No.
19. What do you want to be when you "grow up?" I probably have more idea of this than I feel like I do, but I have very little idea. I should not be surprised if I don't, though; "grow up" in that context is something I take to mean "settle into a permanent career", and I don't know how settled I'm likely to get -- I may end up continuing the plan of doing things for a decade and then moving on to something new.
21. Last boat ride you went on? There is a sailboat, which belongs to me and my brother, which is currently stored in my mother's back shed. Before I moved out here, we took a vacation up to Maine, and brought the boat with us. I think that's the last time I remember, and it's been far too long since I've been on that boat.
No, wait, there was a more recent ride on one of the bay ferries, but that was still a couple of years ago.
23. Are you in love? As mrissa said, "Ayep."
26. Have you been to New York? Yes, once. My father was in the hospital there, and we spent the entirety of the time aside from the taxi rides to and from the airport within a five or six block radius between the hotel, the hospital, and some restaurants.
30. Ever go to camp or been camping? Yes and yes; I went to the Ranger Rick camp at somewhere around 7th grade, and then to a science, computer, and math camp the summer after my 9th and 10th grade years. Only the former included actual camping. I also went camping with my father and mother and brother reasonably often when I was a boy. I remember taking the canoe across the pond about ten miles from our house, to the little island in the middle of it that had just barely enough room on it for two tents and a campfire, and camping there. We found an old steak knife in the bushes with a leather-wrapped handle, and brought it home and cleaned it up and mounted it on a small plaque that declared it to be a pirate knife.
32. What is your current GPA? Forgotten, though I still technically have one. Five years ago I got to the point where I couldn't bear to think of doing any more homework ever ever again, and conveniently that was about the time that I'd taken almost all the classes in my field that the department offers, so I stopped and now just do research, for which I have a five-year streak of "satisfactory" grades that do not affect my GPA one way or the other.
33. Are you wearing any perfume or cologne? I might have worn a tiny bit of cologne once in my life, but I strongly doubt it.
34. Are you hungry? Yes, a bit.
36. Do you own a cowboy hat? I think I'll crib mrissa's answer for this, partly because the shades of meaning are amusingly distinct when I use it: "No. Knowing me and hats, it'd probably be adorable. But adorable is not my goal here."
37. Do you have a tan? I have freckles. Occasionally I refer to these as "having a suntan in spots," since sunlight tends to encourage them a lot. I also have hair that tends towards to the reddish (especially in summer; sunlight definitely bleaches out the brown and makes it redder), and a fair amount of fur on my arms, which gives an effect not so far off of a tan.
39. Do you collect anything? Also cribbing mrissa's answer: "In some circumstances, I tell people I collect books, but this is usually when I'm talking to the people who can't tell the difference between collecting books and owning a metric buttload of books." (Except that I rarely actually have occasion for that to come up in conversation, but I do have rather a lot of books.) I also have a lot of model cars, and a small quantity of Legos that would appear to be a collection. Also outdated computers, but I don't actually intend to accumulate those.
43. Been to Mexico for Spring Break? Nope. Nor for other occasions.
46. Do you need to do laundry? Yeah, I should go get the current load out of the dryer, and put in the next. Actually, I'll go do that now.
50. What are you thinking right this minute? That I really should go do that laundry now. I think this quiz is becoming pointed!